Total Pageviews

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Taking a Break on the Eastern Shore -10 Sept

There are so many advantages to traveling around in a travel trailer; however, to step up and and pack up a rig on a daily basis can wear you out...or so in my case. Add to that the strain of maneuvering this monster through traffic and toll booths and tunnels and believe me, it drains you. Consequently, I decided to find a place where I can just chill for a couple of days while allowing the dogs to get out and run. I came to one of my favorite places: the Eastern Shore, specifically Kiptopeke State Park. This is a beautiful haven just on the southern tip of the Cheasapeake Bay Bridge.
Originally I had planned to head back across the bay into Norfolk and visit with some friends, but unfortunately things came up. So I used this time to recharge and bike along the eastern shore roads. The gorgeous grass marshes and lush farmland are really so beautiful. I have always liked the special quality of the eastern shore. In so many ways it is truly another world from Tidewater.
The downside to this campsite was the mosquitos. Despite using "deep woods" OFF, I got bitten all along my legs, feet and back. So I wouldn't claw myself to death, I finally got some caladryl lotion. And used it liberally and frequently. Thankfully after 5 days of this routine, the itchiness is beginning to subside.
Before packing up and driving north, I made a jaunt down to Wilmington to retrieve my kitty, Darius. The campground folks, true to their word, found Darius for me, and kept him until I could get down there to pick him up. When I arrived to the KOA office, there was Darius sprawled out on the cool tile floor, looking like he owned the place. I am not totally sure if he was glad to see me get him....I think perhaps he was living the good life down in Wilmington. Well, one thing is for sure, that was his "one". Should he run off again, I am not driving 11 hours in one day to get him.

No comments:

Post a Comment