Total Pageviews

Friday, September 9, 2011

Northward Bound - 6 Sept

Tried something a little different...traveled up the coast on Hwy 17 through Charleston and Myrtle Beach to Wilington, N.C. Lots of travel and much slower, but all in all, worth the experience. I had never been this route before and it was a surprisingly nice drive...despite the fact that I was pulling a 29 ft traveler and everyone wanted to pull out in front of me at the last moment.
So, in the interest of finding a place to stay for just a night, I elected to stay at the Wilmington KOA campsite. The good news is the location is ideal. The bad news is once I got to the campground, it was at closing time and the person assigning campsites, assigned me a site with no power.
It is no easy or quick thing to unhook and set up a travel trailer...even for the most experienced traveler. So when I arrived to my camp site and had no power after hooking everything in, my next thought was "it must be a problem with my RV". Of course, no one else in the RV park had issues with power, so I checked all the breakers and fuses. Nothing has popped. Perplexed, I pulled all the electrical, water, sewage and cable lines off and relocated to another site...hoping to get power. Simultaneously, I called the campsite office at the after hours number and left a message requesting help.
Because I had been traveling for hours, I put all three animals: both dogs and my cat, out on their leashes during the campsite shuffle. To my great dismay, my kitty, Darius, was able to break free and ran off into the woods. I think he had had enough.
So, after I had relocated several times, two men walked by and offered help. I think they saw my frustration and dismay. At this point I was seriously questioning my decision to live in a RV for a year. These wonderful men that offered assistance were in Wilmington as insurance adjusters for Hurricane Irene. They both were from East Texas, which is experiencing some very bad fires. As it was now dark, we noticed the electric posts that had operating lights and those that did not....as a result, I moved to an electrical post with an operating light. This
worked, thanks to the help of these two fine men.
Now the search to recover my cat....no joy then or in the morning. Had to depart without Darius inboard, but left my cell number at the campsite office just in case he was found. Today, the day after I departed Wilmington, I received a call from a nurse who is living in the RV park and said she saw Darius today. She promised to call me back if he shows up. Keep your fingers crossed......
Oh, as a by the way.....the campsite refunded my money for the problems experienced. Guess the master electrical switch for several sites had been turned off. Lesson learned......

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ally, was Great to meet you at Hunting Island, we were Site 6...and someone from Norfolk! I've enjoyed your travels so far. Hope you find Darius. That was sad. You inspired me to start a blog, so I have. On blogspot: heartafact/blogspot.com Take good care and I'll be saying a prayer for your journey. ~Connie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Dear! Not exactly a stellar start my friend, you will get Darius back - I just know it! He knows how good he has it with you :+) What a great reassuring and heart warming experience to know that there are kind and caring people who are willing to help out a fellow citizen in need. I imagine that your adventures have only just begun. Looking forward to the cook out in the cul de sac on the 11th. Travel safe and see you soon. Claire

    ReplyDelete