Total Pageviews

Friday, September 9, 2011

Moving up the Coast

After leaving St Mary's, I headed for a little town outside Savannah to visit with another sorority sister from FSU, Stacy. Drove to Stacy's home and met her wonderful husband, daughters and pets. Again what a delightful afternoon reacquainting with a old friend.
I continued up the coast to Beaufort. Unfortunately, I spent more time visiting with old friends then I had intended. One lesson about RVing I've learned thus far, get into your site well before dark. Well, this was one instance where I was definitely fighting the onset of dust and I was tired, so the likelihood of making a mistake was higher. Sure enough, enroute to Hunting Island State Park, my destination, I took a wrong turn. I ended up on a dirt road somewhere out in the boonies. I finally faced the reality of having to back up the travel trailer...ugggggh! I did it, I backed this monster up and was eventually successful, but it was ugly.
Well, now it is about 1830 and I am definitely sweating the load about getting to Hunting Island State Park before they close the gate. Once again, God is watching out for me and I get to my intended location before nightfall. Once there, a wonderful couple help me navigate between the pines onto my site.
Hunting Island State Park is a gem situated about 30 some miles from Beaufort. It is somewhat isolated, but that's part of the charm. Wow, what a gorgeous place this is! Not only is it located right on the Atlantic Ocean, but it has incredible trails and waterways to navigate. As I understand it, it is the most popular state park in South Carolina...no wonder! While there, I was able to hike along the trails and kayak along the Atlantic - all good
stuff! Furthermore, I got to stroll the beach in the early morning and watch the spectacular sunrise. These are the things worth seeing, worth experiencing, worth writing about.

No comments:

Post a Comment