Total Pageviews

Sunday, September 4, 2011

The Maiden Voyage -1 Sept

I finally got all my trip preps complete and left Pensacola right before Labor Day weekend. My intention was to leave early in the morning, but that was impossible due to the rain. There is a fair amount of outdoor preps that have to be done before you can drive away in a travel trailer and of course, as a novice.....I take things very slowly. Finally got everything done about 1000 and drove away headed for the gas station. A couple of notes.....it takes a bit to figure out your turn radius with such a rig. For me at the gas station, I cut a corner too tight....this required backing up - an action I have avoided to date. Well before you can back up, you have to take the sway bar off or it will snap. So there I am at the Raceway, pulling out tools and trying to get the sway bar off. A very nice gentleman in a tool truck was getting gas at the pump next to me and commented " you may want to back up". I responded thank you but in order to back up I need to get the sway bar off. He graciously helped me ....as it was particularly tight. This wonderful man, I am convinced, was God sent.
O.k., so I finally get on the road and whoa.....I experience the sway effect of pulling a 29 ft trailer. When semi trucks pass you at pretty good speeds, the resulting effect is fairly significant and very disconcerting. I liken this phenomena to ice skating on a greased surface...you basically have no control. I readily admit that I have over the years sneered at RVs and their slow speeds. That is a thing of the past! I get it! Slower speeds, in my case 55 or 60 mph max, is the only way to maintain any sense of control on the road. Besides, when you're in a RV, you are supposed to be relaxing and not in some hurry.
Got into St Mary's, Ga well after dark....not an optimum choice particularly for a neophyte RV person. The goods news is...people at RV sites all seem to be really nice and willing to help out ....thank goodness! I already recognize that there is a distinct RV culture. Believe it or not, it' not just retired people. There is a broad range of people from all different walks of life....more on this topic later.

No comments:

Post a Comment