Total Pageviews

Thursday, September 15, 2011

A Hidden Gem Just Outside D.C. - Pohick Bay Regional Park - 14 Sept

Coming up to D.C. was not the driving nightmare I thought it would be. In fact, it proved to be one of the easier transits I've experienced thus far. What was difficult was backing into my assigned campsite at Pohick Bay Regional Park. This park is a hidden jewel to be sure. I was only able to get a camp spot with electrical power as opposed to having sewer and water hookups. This really did not pose a problem because my travel trailer has sewer holding tanks and of course a water tank. I have about 5 to 7 days before I need to get to a dumping station and refill the water tank...that all works out with my planned stay of about a week.
O.k., so back to the backing in process. Did I fail to mention that my site was lined with big trees in close proximity to the drive? Well, when you have to make something happen/work, you just figure it out. In this case, I think it took about 90 minutes.....there was no one to help or guide me as I backed up...which is ok because I have got to get better. I suppose practice makes perfect, right? Once I was successful in getting the trailer into place and got it unhooked from the truck, I discovered the power hook up did not reach......so back to square one. In the end, I got everything set, but my learning curve continues to be steep and I look forward to the day when it doesn't take me 2-3 hours for this evolution!
This park is located south of the Springfield-Franconia metro station (about 10 minutes away) and next to George Mason's home, Guston Hall. It is a drop dead gorgeous area and I can take the trails down to the water...where eventually I will kayak from. There are kayak rentals available for those who don't carry their own.
As I've mentioned in previous entries.....you meet the most amazing people in these campgrounds. Yesterday as I was walking my pups, a man called out and asked, "is that a Rhodesian Ridgeback?". That is how I met a very lovely couple from South Africa; apparently they used to raise Ridgeback dogs and now live in San Diego when they are not off galavanting across the US in their motor coach.
Also met up with yet another friend from 30+ years ago.....who just retired from the USMC a few years ago. We had lunch together and I was amazed to hear about what had happened in his life these past years. Can't believe this is the third person in less than 2 weeks that I've caught up with from over 30 years ago!!! It's incredible how Facebook and traveling in a RV connects you with people.

No comments:

Post a Comment